Sunday, October 29, 2006

新新荣和潮剧 洛水仙姬
First Encounter with Another Local Teochew Opera Troupe

In mid Oct 2006, I came across an announcement on a series of temple celebrations by a temple at Bukit Batok. It came as a surprise to me when I discovered that an unknown local troupe would be putting up 4 nights of performance there. This troupe is called 新新荣和潮剧. I have not heard of the existence of this troupe. The only new troupe I knew is 新怡梨兴潮剧团.


I went to the website to search for pictures of local teochew street opera. I managed to find one picture bearing the same troupe name, 新新荣和潮剧. The photo was taken in Nov 2003. As I was curious to watch their performance, I decided to make a trip to Bukit Batok.

On 27 Oct 2006, I left home at about 8.15 pm. I boarded the train at Nee Soon South and alighted at Bukit Batok station. I headed towards the bus interchange and asked the duty personnel for direction. I was advised to take bus 945. The stage was located at the open field outside Block 506 and it was only a bus-stop away from the interchange.
The moment I alighted, the teochew opera music could be heard. I walked briskly as I was anxious to see this unknown troupe. Yes, I saw 新新荣和剧团. About 20 -30 people were watching. As there were many empty chairs available, I pulled one and sat on it.
新新荣和剧团 put up 洛水仙姬. I would rate the standard of performance as average. In the dwindling days of teochew street opera in Singapore, I should not expect too much from this troupe. This troupe has a variety of backdrops and their costumes are very new.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home