Saturday, September 23, 2006

广东潮剧院三团 Guangdong Teochew Opera Troupe 3
梦圆锦香亭

满座满座满座



Sunday, 17 Sep 2006. Tonight is the final performance by 广东潮剧院三团 in Singapore. In the morning, I went to Chong Pang area to develop some photos so that I could give them to my opera fans before they leave. When I reached that shop, I was surprised with the high tech machines installed for developing of photographs. I passed them the CDR and followed some simple steps, based on guidance since it was my first time doing it, to get the 219 photos developed. I collected the photos within 30 minutes though the standard processing time is one hour.

I left home at about 5.30 pm and I went to People Park's Complex to eat Yong Tau Fu at 高记酿豆腐 for my dinner. I missed that stall quite a lot. Three years ago, I patronized that at least once a week when my office was located in Central Mall. After eating, I stopped by Polar cake shop to buy some pineapple tarts. I told my wife I should buy a little present for 勇强 and 碧霞. So some local food would be good.

I reached the backstage at about 6.45 pm. The first person I met was 楚武. I passed him an envelope containing some photos. Then I saw 佳婉. I also gave her some photos. After that, I met 勇强. I passed him the pineapple tarts and some photos. I also asked him to autograph on 2 of the photos. We did not have much time chit chat as the backstage was very packed. I saw some aunties carrying packets of presents, some were busy sorting out photos while others were busying distributing red packets or 'ang pow'. I heard one auntie said each red packet contained $24. Wow! These people are really strong supporters of Teochew Opera.

I saw a signboard showing 'Full House' prominently displayed at the ticketing counter. At 7.45 pm, there was a short announcement by the MC. I got to know that one man spent $15,000 to sponsor the show for Sunday night. No wonder, those who bought a ticket to watch 节义夫妻 on 16 Sep 06 were given a free ticket for the Sunday performance. Not bad at all. I paid $20 for watching 节义夫妻 and was given a free ticket costing $40. I did not quite like the seat assigned to me. It was on the first row, right block, 5th seat from the end. It was not a good angle for taking photos. Some people were not happy with the seat allocation as several seats were issued double tickets. As a rule of thumb, first come first served basis. I told myself how lucky I was. If I were to mingle a little longer with my opera fans, I might end up sitting on PVC chairs. Then, one Member of Parliament appeared on stage. He delivered a short speech in Teochew and also introduced 知名丑角方展荣 and 中国潮剧著名青衣花旦姚璇秋. The MC also said the first day of the performance by 广东潮剧院三团 was also a full house as 义安公司 booked all the tickets. See a related article extracted from 潮剧大观园. “新加坡牛车水人民剧场人山人海,热闹非凡。喜逢新加坡潮阳会馆80大寿,广东潮剧院三团排演的新戏《节义夫妻》在这里鸣锣开演,祝贺本次庆典活动。当晚剧场门口摆满祝贺,演出成功的花篮,场内挤满观众,自始至终笑声阵阵,掌声雷鸣.”That evening, 碧霞 played the key female lead role, 天然. 勇强 continued to play the role of 高力士.

Below are some other photos taken.



At the end of the show, a group photo was taken.





Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:14 PM , Blogger Rose Forever said...

Good job taking all these beautiful shots. Appreciate you sharing it to us. Is there any Guangdong teochew opera coming to Singapore anytime soon.

 
At 7:12 AM , Blogger Chai Soon 才顺 said...

Troupe 1 pefromed here in 2006. On the last of their performance, an announcement was made that the troupe should be performing in Singapore again in 2008. Not sure of the month though. Are you working in Singapore?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home