Thursday, August 26, 2010

新加坡义顺华山宫
2010农历7月16
新新荣和潮剧
楚宫风云


Half of the Lunar 7th month is gone and I only managed to watch two performances over the last 2 weeks. I heard from die hard fans that 织云潮剧团 'Chek Hoon Teochew Opera Troupe' has close to 50 performances fron Lunar 6th to 8th month. That is quite remarkable considering the fact that currently the organisers of 庆中元 'Hungry Ghost Festival' event prefers 歌台 'GeTai' than anything else.

What was unbelievable when I heard 老赛桃源潮剧团 'Lao Sai Thor Guan Teochew Opera Troupe' only had a 2 plus 1 performance. That plus 1 is 潮音 'Teo Yin'. Isn't that pathetic? Heard Lao Sai Thor Guan Teochew Opera Troupe combines with 新怡梨兴潮剧团 'Sin Yee Lai Heng Teochew Opera Troupe' this round.

So, the only troupe left is 新新荣和潮剧 'Sin Sin Yong Hua Teochew Opera Troupe'. This is my fifth year watching this troupe in action. A few months ago when I watched them performed 恩仇记 'En Chew Kee' at 粤海清庙 'Guat Hai Cheng Miao', the lady boss 邱玉凤 'Khoo Gek Hong' told me they would be have a new set of stage deco. She also revealed that they are rehearsing for a new performance 楚宫风云 'Chor Ken Huang Hoon'. Then, in early August, I saw a Chinese programme featuring old scenes and culture in the 60's, I managed to catch a glimpse of the then Sin Yong Hua Heng Teochew Opera Troupe in action. Khoo Gek Hong was interviewed in that episode. I also saw the new stage deco and a few minutes of their perfomances.

Finally, I got to see the new stage deco and Chor Ken Huang Hoon on the 16th day of Lunar 7th month at 华山宫 'Hua Shan Temple', Yishun. 亚文 'Ah Boon', whom I got to know recently, acted as the emperor. I think he did quite a fantastic job.


I saw Chek Hoon Teochew Opera Troupe's former male lead, 珠华 'Choo Hua', watching the performance as an audience. I also saw 亚莲 'Ah Noi' of the then 金鹰潮剧团 'Kim Eng Teochew Opera Troupe' moving up and down the stage. I wondered why she has no role that evening.


Overall, I must say Sin Sin Yong Hua Teochew Opera Troupe has done a relative good job. The leading and supporting artistes could coordinate well and this is definitely a show worth watching. By the way, this performance comes in 2 parts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home