Friday, August 13, 2010

潮剧电影 : 莲香戏鞋 - 荘雪娟,丁楚翹原唱
Teochew Opera Movie - Strange Visitor


An old movie 莲香戏鞋 (Strange Visitor) by 荘雪娟 and 丁楚翘 of 东山潮音剧艺社 created a stir recently.


Initially, I was not sure if the audience would accept a dubbed version of the movie so I just uploaded two short clips of 莲香戏鞋 covering the last segment 回仙山. To my surprise,the two clips had recorded no less than a 1000 hits over the last seven months. This is something which I would regard as unusual as many of my other clips did not even reach 500 hits after a year.


莲香戏鞋 carried a simple plot but armed with a power pack non-stop singing by 荘雪娟 and 丁楚翹 throughout 70% of the movie. May be, we can classify such movie productions as semi-musical shows as they really keep the audience engaged throughout the movie.




Fans of such Teochew Opera movies from UK and USA appealed to me to upload the complete movie. I took advantage of the recent long weekend to cut the movie into 9 parts covering some 80% to 90% of the original soundtrack. I received many comments for almost all the clips uploaded. I found uploading this movie very rewarding. I helped some fans with the oppotunity to listen to a movie soundtrack which they had heard decades ago after they had migrated overseas. To all the Teochew people 潮州人 (kakinang) living overseas, let's continue to keep this dying art alive.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home