Friday, March 26, 2010

Growing Up With Teochew Opera - 7
Teochew Opera And English Literature
潮剧与文学史

Over the next few years, 织云潮剧团 performed opera hits like: 穆桂英招亲, 斩韩信, 王宝钏, 一门三进士, 柴房会 etc. 穆桂英招亲 was produced as a several parts serial and screened on TV Singapure.


When I was in Secondary 2. the performance 王宝钏 was very appealing to me. For the subject English Literature, we studied Tom Sawyer, The Crocodile Dies Twice and many other books. However, I became so attentive when the teacher introduced the book ‘Lady Precious Stream’. It is actually 王宝钏 or better known as 红鬃烈马 nowadays. I had the advantage of relating the 4.5 hours performance by 织云潮剧团 to my literature book and the story line was very much similar to the performance. It did help me in understanding Lady Precious Stream and scored well for final term examinations. All these performances put up by 织云潮剧团 are popular movies of 新天彩潮剧团 too.

I considered myself very lucky yeh!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home