Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dreams of a Chinese Opera
粉墨是梦


During my last trip to Beijing in Jun 2009, I came across a CD with a cover that captured my attention. Whenever I see any picture with painted face or an opera performance stage, my heart will beat faster as I am sure it is something I will like despite the type of performance and dialect group.


During that time, I spent 9 weeks pursuing an executive programme at Peking University. Zhongguancun is a just a few minutes walk from the Uni. There are many bookshops there and I found this interesting CD at the Zhongguancun bookshop. It is entitled, 'Dreams of a Chinese Opera'. The produce and composer had released one recording 'Dreams of an Opera' in 2006. This CD is the second delicate piece and both of them have returned with more measures to enchant and captivate. It contains ten new stories, each representing a different religion tradition ranging from Zhejiang, Huangmei, Cantonese to Chao or Teochew.

Words cannot describe the excellent quality of each music track. You have to purchase one to experience yourself.

Of the 10 recordings, I am most familiar with 'The Butterfly Lovers' [Zhejiang Yue Opera], 'Su Liuniang' {Chao or Teochew Opera] and 'The Princess Chang Ping' {Cantonese Opera].


The Teochew Opera Su Liuniang tells the story of how the lovely and sensitive Su Liuniang escapes from an arranged marriage with the help of her clever maid, Taohua and a local ferryman.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home