Friday, October 09, 2009

中国云霄潮剧团 - 对花枪



8 Oct 09, marks the first day of the 20-day performance by Fujian Yun Xiao Teochew Opera Troupe. In the afternoon, I drove to Defu Lane to recce the place where the troupe is performing because I have not been to the temple before.

I headed towards Ang Mo Kio and then to Hougang but made a wrong turn to Serrangoon. Later, I clarfied the direction with my wife who knows that part of Singapore better than me and found the site. Yun Xiao was having the ceremonial performance at about 3.20 pm. I wanted to stop by to bid hello to them. However, I could not do so because there was no parking lot. I did not want to take risk to park illegally because there were many trucks and lorries doing loading and unloading.


I then returned call to a friend, Song, who called me while I was driving. He offered me a ticket for the opening night. I then realised that one must purchase any other show to get a free ticket for the first night. He also told me to be there by 7 pm as there will some opening event. At about 4 plus in the afternoon, Yin Quan of Yun Xiao called me and I told him I would be there later.

I reached there at about 6.35 pm and saw Yin Quan having his final rehearsal. Song and I met at 7 pm. Then, I met the troupe leader, Mr Ho, and Dr Chua of Chinese Opera Institute. Dr Chua encourgaed me to come every night. I told him it was impossible. Then, I had a chat with Yin Quan who was having his rehearsal a while ago. He told me the troupe had performed this opening show twice in mainland China so far. I also met Yi Yong who told me he would appear from the fifth segment onwards.

The VIP party arrived and former TCS news reader Wang Lian San was the master of ceremony. After the several speeches, lights up and banging of the big gong, the performance began at 8.15 pm, later than the scheduled 8pm.


Lin Shu Ling and Chen Yin Hua dominated the first scene. In my opinion, their performance has improved and is more polished than last year when they acted in Mu Gui Ying Zhao Qing. I was very uneasy because I was seated towards the last few rows and could not capture any shots or clips. Later, I advanced to the front after the VIP party had left. There, I met Jessica's mum. Later, I asked Song to advance to the front to enjoy the show.

I went to the backstage and met a few artistes. Many said hello to me because I knew many of them quite well. Then, I went to the make-up room to meet Ting Feng. He was surprised to see me there because I called him a few days ago to tell him it was difficult for me to be present on day 1. We had a quick chat and I left him alone as he was painting his face and preparing for his performance.

While watching, another friend, Koh, called me and teased me for busy taking photographs. As it was past 10 pm, I signalled hime to come to the audience seat. Then, I met Cai Bi Xia of the Chinese Opera Institute. Later, two persons sat near me on the same row. The lady smiled and noded her head. It was then I realised they were from the local troupe Xin Xin Yong Hua. I had never spoken to them but I could be a familiar face because I had watched many of their performances and developed some photos for them too. Then, Yun Xiao's Shu Ling saw me from far and waved at me. Wow, so rewarding.

The fighting scenes were just too great and there were many rounds of applauses. Yi Yong did a very difficult and eye catching stance, somersault followed by a split position with staright legs, thrice. In my opionn, the first 3 segments were nice appetizers, then came the main course, and the last 3 segments were durian dessert with a stong booster. The 9th scene ended at 1115 pm. Song gave me a lift to City Hall MRT station and I reached home at 10 past 12. Wow, so late.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home