Sunday, August 06, 2006

Lady Precious Stream - 王宝钏 (or 红鬃烈马)

Are you an opera fan? If yes, is Lady Precious Stream ’王宝钏’ or ‘红鬃烈马’ or ‘别窑’ a familiar title to you?



‘Lady Precious Stream’ was one of the literature books I studied in secondary school. Coincidentally, during that year, our local Teochew Opera troupe, 织云潮剧团 also performed 王宝钏 during the lunar seventh month festival in Toa Payoh when my teacher started to introduce the book ‘Lady Precious Stream’. As the script by 织云潮剧团 was very similar to that book, it helped me to deepen my understanding of the various segments of the story. 织云潮剧团 put up an excellent performance. During that time, it was a big troupe and was able to field different male and female leads to act as 王宝钏 and 石平贵. By the way, there is something that is still puzzling me for many years. Is the main male character called 薛平贵 or 石平贵? 新天彩潮剧团 and 楚蕙潮剧团 named the male character as 薛平贵 but 织云潮剧团 and 广东潮剧院一团 used the name 石平贵. Please pen your comments if you are aware of this.





There is a Teochew opera movie production by 新天彩潮剧团 but it is called红鬃烈马. Above is collection of pictures from that movie. 陈楚蕙 and 方巧玉 performed the role as 薛平贵 and 王宝钏, respectively. I have not seen this movie. I only have the cassette. What a pity!




In 王宝钏, I like the segment 平贵别窑 most. I watched 陈楚蕙 performed this segment with many different actresses. Personally, I feel 陈楚蕙 and 陈碧霞 had put up the best performance. Not sure if my assessment will change if I have a chance to watch 红鬃烈马 by 陈楚蕙 and 方巧玉. I have not been able to collect any photos of 陈楚蕙 and 陈碧霞 in 红鬃烈马. Below are some photos showing 陈楚蕙 as 薛平贵 (provided by Q L) and 陈楚蕙 and 谢子兰 in 红鬃烈马.




Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm, i cant remember the exact story but if i didnt rmb wrongly, according to the hokkien opera i've watched by chen ya lan, actually the name is xue ping gui, but avoid attention from enemy he changed it to shi ping gui. Actually xue ping gui is not the real heir of the xue family (from xue ren gui to xue ding shan to xue gang then xue jiao), he was actually a prince saved by the xue family (that's why he has 7 stars on his foot - it was his destiny to become the emperor eventually).

 
At 7:16 PM , Blogger A.C. said...

Oh, I didn't know this history! But anyway, I quite like this show (Hokkien opera), but only seen a short scene of it by Tan Chor Hwee.. damn.. my friend just acted it a few days ago in M'sia, no chance to watch! :(

 
At 10:23 PM , Blogger Chai Soon 才顺 said...

Alamk! You mean your friend from Thailand?

 
At 11:06 AM , Blogger A.C. said...

Ya, that's the only friend I know who performs in Teochew opera.

 
At 8:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also had that this book for my english literature too. My mom was also an opera fanatic. The opera really did a lot of help to my literature then. ha ha ha It was such good memories. Thank you for the beautiful memories

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home